Volunteer Opportunity Available
Nov. 1, 2019
Etta Projects is a dynamic grassroots public health organization that supports Bolivian communities through education, empowerment, and health training. Our mission is to implement sustainable solutions to improve health, sanitation, hygiene, nutrition, and access to clean water, in collaboration with the local people. Established in 2003, Etta Projects works towards attainable, sustainable results that impact the quality of health for rural villagers.
Etta Projects is currently seeking an Agricultural Intern at the new Community Transformation Center (CTC) located in Buena Vista (Santa Cruz department, Eastern Bolivia). The CTC hosts interactive, hands on training workshops for local participants. This internship opportunity allows you to: improve your Spanish, gain intercultural experience, and implement your knowledge of organic agriculture, permaculture, composting, natural building, and educational activities. The projects that you implement will serve as models for local visitors to replicate in their communities.
- Maintain small organic gardens for vegetable production
- Maintain a medicinal plant garden (to use for production of home remedies)
- Maintain gardens and green areas around cabins
- Create signs for gardens, naming the plants and their uses
- Maintain a nursery for local plants and trees
- Collect local plants and seeds, and create a plant exchange program for visitors
- Create an outdoor education classroom with interactive displays on local plants, seeds, and wildlife
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Basic (or better) Spanish
- Organic gardening and permaculture knowledge and experience
- Previous experience living and working in rural areas, preferably in Latin America
- Enjoys nature and animals
- Knowledge of plants and natural remedies
- Confident working independently and with a team
- Sense of humor and patience
- Flexibility with schedule changes
- Adaptable to living and working in a tropical climate
Work Environment: The CTC is located on a 96 acre property of tropical forest, near the Amboro National Park. The intern will reside in one of the cabins on the property, with access to a communal kitchen, office, dining areas, and swimming pool. The town of Buena Vista (population 5,000) is 6 miles away on a dirt road. There is limited access to phone and internet.
Dates: Flexible, available immediately (3 months minimum commitment, preferably longer, with option to extend)
Benefits: Visa costs, housing, fully equipped kitchen, food, and local transportation provided
Intern must provide: Airfare, any personal expenses (medication, weekend travel, etc.)
Reports to: CTC director
How to apply: Submit a cover letter and resume by email to Amanda.firstname.lastname@example.org. List "Internship
Candidate" in the subject line. Any questions may be directed to the CTC Director, AmandaMartin, at the same email listed above.